TO OPEN A SCHOLARS SAVINGS ACCOUNT
THE ACCOUNT OWNER:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a Social Security Number OR an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number
- Must have access to an email address
- Must have the Social Security Number OR ITIN of the child who shall have a Scholars Savings Account
TO MAKE A DEPOSIT ONLINE THE ACCOUNT OWNER:
- Must have access to a personal bank account
- Must have online access to the child's Scholars Savings Account
- Must keep track of his or her own banking transactions
TO MAKE A DEPOSIT VIA MAIL
For personal checks/money orders:
- Make the check/money order out to "Utah Educational Savings Plan"
- Write the child's name and UESP Account Number in the memo section of the check/money order
- Send the check/money order to the Utah Educational Savings Plan mailing address
- Must not send any deposits to the El Monte Promise Foundation
Parents, grandparents, legal guardians, aunts, uncles, and/or older siblings can set up a Scholars Savings Account for a child if they meet the Account Owner requirements that are listed above.
I DON'T HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?
You don't need a Social Security Number to open a Scholars Savings Account. You can open an account with an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number).
To apply for an ITIN you will need to fill out IRS Form W-7 and submit requested documentation to a local IRS office. Please visit the IRS website for more information. Information on the ITIN is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese in the IRS website.
I DON'T HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT?
You don't need a bank account to open a Scholars Savings Account. A personal bank account is optional if you wish to make deposits online.
If you do not have a bank account you may still make a deposit via mail to your child's Scholars Savings Account with a check or a money order.
I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO A COMPUTER?
If you have opened a Scholars Savings Account for your child, or you wish to open an account, but you need access to a computer and internet please contact us.
We are more than happy to assist families who need access to a computer and internet to access a child's account or enroll in the Scholars Savings Program.
Please note you may need to make an appointment with our staff to make sure we are able to service you. Contact us for more information.